WHAT IS THE NISSEN FUNDOPLICATON PROCEDURE?
Nissen Fundoplication is the most universally accepted way to provide long-lasting treatment for gastroesophageal reflux. In this procedure the diaphragm will be repaired to ensure there is no development of a hiatal hernia or acid reflux. Next the stomach is sutured into place surrounding the esophagus to restore the body’s naturally occurring valve protecting the esophagus from stomach contents.
INDICATIONS YOU MIGHT BE A CANDIDATE:
- Failure of medical management
- Need for long-term medical therapy
- Complications of GERD – E.g. Barrett’s esophagus
- Patient preference
- Extraesophageal manifestations such as asthma, hoarseness, aspiration
- Mixed hiatal and paraesophageal hernia with coincided reflux
- Recurrent reflux after previous therapy